A Message from the Principal- 5/1/20
Happy Friday and May 1st! The Frost staff hopes everyone continues to stay safe and healthy during this time. We truly miss all of our students and will continue to support all members of the Frost community in any possible way. Thank you again for your diligent commitment to ensuring your child’s educational success.
Quick reminders to support Frost students and staff throughout V-Learning:
- Reminding your child to sign in to their first period Google Classroom and complete the attendance form on a daily basis. This routine needs to continue to happen even on days if your child’s first period class is the subject they are excused from due to staff having a plan day.
- Reminding your child to check their email multiple times a day as staff sends out regular reminders and feedback via email.
- Asking your child to show you the work they are completing in their Google Classrooms each day.
- If your child has completed a V-Learning assignment for a class AFTER the assigned due date, please remind your child to email the teacher for that class notifying them that the assignment has been completed and submitted. This communication from your child to their teacher in these situations is crucial in making sure Infinite Campus accurately reflects the work your child has been completing.
Finally, early next week, we will be sending out information on how to sign up to gather items from lockers, drop off District 54 materials, and pick up yearbooks and other items. We are very proud of the hard work and determination our Spartans have displayed through V-Learning, and we will continue to become Stronger Together during this challenging time.
Please read below for more important information about upcoming events at Frost:
- No Virtual learning will take place on Mondays the rest of the year, as these are staff plan days. Students can use Mondays to catchup on any assignments.
- May 6 – AM – Virtual Field Day, PM – No virtual learning
- May 25 – No School – Memorial Day
- May 27 – Last Day of student virtual learning
- May 27 – Virtual 8th Grade Graduation at 7 PM
V-Field Day on Wednesday, 5/6
District 54 Physical Educators are excited to invite you to the first ever V-Field Day on Wednesday, May 6th. V-Field Day will allow you to complete Field Day experiences in your own living room or backyard. Click here to access all of the V-Field Day events. All stations can be simply created using household items and a little ingenuity. We have also teamed up with the District 54 Grizzlies, our Special Olympics team, to add adaptations for students who need them so we are sure everyone can participate! Each school community will also be able to engage virtually through their own Field Day padlet located on the site!
V-Learning class schedule for the week of 5/4
- Monday 5/4: Students will not participate in V-Learning – Staff Remote Learning Planning Day
- Tuesday 5/5: V-Learning Resumes – Students will attend ALL CLASSES for V-Learning.
- Wednesday 5/6: Half-day of V-Learning from 8:00 – 11:00 AM. Students can participate in a D54 virtual field day.
- Thursday 5/7 – Friday 5/8: V-Learning Continues – Students will attend ALL CLASSES for V-Learning.
- Students will continue to conduct V-Learning through the D54 V-Learning Website. The website also contains a parent guide, a student guide and frequently asked questions.
- Junior high V-Learning classes will be held from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Since these classes are virtual and we understand that this schedule may not work for some families, students have the flexibility to complete tasks at any time. However, students participating during these V-Learning times will be able to interact in real time with their teachers.
Our Technology Department has been working to support students and staff as we all learn and work remotely. We understand that some families are experiencing slow speeds or problems with their providers, and we ask you to report that directly to your provider.
People experiencing problems with District 54 technology (Chromebooks and iPads for students) should email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can troubleshoot the problem via phone or email. If the problem cannot be resolved, we now have a technology drop-off program. To schedule an appointment to drop off a broken laptop, iPad or other device, you must first email email@example.com. Our district office is closed, so do not stop by without an appointment. By making an appointment, we can abide by the rules of social distancing and ensure we have a replacement device ready for you when you arrive.
We want you to know the entire D54 community is here to support each other during this difficult time. If you find your family in need of support, please let us know. You can reach out directly to one of our school social workers or school psychologists. Mrs. Leong and I are also available to support as well. If you have a specific need, please do not hesitate to reach out to one of us.
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Kristen Carney, Social Worker
- email@example.com – April Luther, Social Worker
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Ashley Probst, School Psychologist
- email@example.com – Ellen Cruse, School Nurse
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Melinda Perez, Dean of Students
- email@example.com – Tricia Leong, Assistant Principal
- firstname.lastname@example.org – C.J. Schmid, Principal
Special Accommodations Website
The District 54 Special Education Department has created a special website with resources for the families of students who regularly receive accommodations at school. Click here to access the website, and find information about speech supports, behavior management, assistive technology, health and mental wellness, physical and occupational therapy, contact information and much more.
Dual Language Virtual Learning Tips for Parents Part 3
Dual Language Parents please watch this video for tips to help your child complete virtual learning.
District 54 Summer Camps Cancelled
Due to this unprecedented time we are faced with, all District 54 Summer Camps have been cancelled for this year. These camps include, Summer STEM, 54 Fitness League, Camp Creative, Language and Culture Camp, and Summer Instrumental Music. If you have submitted a payment for any camp, you will be issued a refund starting Thursday, April 30, and you should see a credit appear on your statement within 14 business days.
The camp facilitators are going to miss seeing students this summer. Students in all grade levels can stay engaged by participating in the School District 54 Summer Virtual Learning University, which is filled with fun activities and challenges for students and families to participate in together from home. The link for the Virtual Learning University will be on the School District 54 website in the last week of May.
Note from the PTA – Hot Lunch Cancellation
Hope this message finds everyone healthy & safe. Unfortunately, the Hot Lunch program will be cancelled for the remainder of the year. This is a very big loss to the Frost PTA as the hot lunch program is the only major fundraiser. We are kindly asking that if you wish your funds to stay with the PTA as a donation, there is no need to respond and Thank You so much.
If you would like a refund for your hot lunch, please send an email by April 30, 2020 requesting a refund with the following info:
– students first & last name
– students Lunch Period (*without this, refund will be delayed)
– “pay to” information
– “mailing address”
Send email to the attention of Theresa Banks @ email@example.com. The Frost PTA will be issuing refund checks within the months of May & June. If request is rec’d after April 30, might not be processed until next fiscal year.
Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding!
Food Pantry Locations and Donation Opportunities
Families needing assistance may benefit from the following. The District 54 Foundation has created a Crisis Fund to provide support to our most at-risk students and families during this great time of need. Please click the link for the most up to date information on Food Pantry Locations and Donation Opportunities. https://sd54.org/2020/03/19/food-pantry-locations-and-donation-opportunities/
Foundation Crisis Fund
District 54 has received several inquiries from families asking if they can make a donation to support those in need during the school closure. Thank you for your care and concern for our community. Anyone wishing to donate is welcome to make a financial contribution to our District 54 Foundation Crisis Fund linked here.
Registration for the 2020-21 School Year
Registration for the 2020-21 school year opened on Monday, March 30 through the Infinite Campus Portal. If you have previously created a portal account and cannot recall your username or password, you can reset them yourself from the portal website. Go to http://sd54.org and click on Infinite Campus Parent Portal under Popular Links. If you have not previously created a portal account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to create one.
Last chance to enroll your child for the 2020-21 school year
Update Your Information: Log on to the parent portal by Monday, May 4, 2020 to review the current information and make any necessary changes. You must hit the SUBMIT button after reviewing the information, even if you don’t make any changes. If your child(ren) will not be attending District 54 schools next year, please inform our office where your child will be attending school in the fall so that we can prepare your child’s records for transfer. You can email our secretaries at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Residency: All families are required to prove that they live within District 54 boundaries every year. If we were unable to verify your residency electronically, you will have the ability to upload your residency electronically through your portal. If you are unable to upload the documents needed at this time, you will be able to provide them in person when our offices reopen.
If your address information was verified electronically, you will not be prompted to upload residency documentation and will not need to provide any documents.
Information about busing and material fees will be communicated this summer. Should you have any questions, please contact our front office using one, or both of the above email addresses. Thank you very much.
Please visit our Frost JHS Website for the building calendar. Don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay updated with the latest news and information about the great things happening at Frost. Para información en español, favor de visitar Hispanoparlantes.