A Message from the Principal- 3/4/19
Frost is excited to take a huge leap towards our school-wide focus to Find Your Strong as we join District 54 in celebrating the principles of positive psychology with a month-long celebration of happiness. Each week this month, our Spartans will be celebrating a different group that brings them happiness: community, family/teachers, and each other. This past Friday, we kicked off Happiness Month with a Happiness Pep Rally where each of these groups was on display: our Student Ambassadors put on an Orange Frog short skit to help our students better understand the power of positive psychology; our Interact Club presented a check from the Frost students to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to benefit research on childhood cancer; our teachers presented Keys of Excellence to several of our students for their excellence in flexibility and balance; and our Spartan Pep Band entertained us with lively music. During this month, our students will be engaging in several conscious acts of kindness, spreading kindness around our school community, and will engage in mindful moments to help them fully understand what positive psychology means to them. Thanks to our Student Ambassadors who have already decorated Frost with inspirational messages, will be hosting a special Frost night at Feed My Starving Children, and will be facilitating several activities to spread kindness throughout the Frost community. Our work with the principles of positive psychology this month is another great example of our efforts to create a school that is driven by our dual purposes of High Achievement and Positive Culture. Please read below for more information about these goals.
End of Trimester 2 is this Friday, March 8. Please talk with your child about completing all missing assignments before the conclusion of the trimester. Reminder that report cards will be available online on March 20, 2019.
Spanish Speech Contest: MacArthur School will host the annual District 54 Spanish Language Speech Contest on May 2. District 54 students in third through eighth grade are eligible to participate in this event. Contestants will be divided into two categories: Native speakers and Spanish as a second language. The application deadline is April 12. Click here to access the online application. If you have questions, contact Lucrecia Temoczuk at LucreciaTemoczuk@nullsd54.org or (847) 357-6666.
Eighth grade graduation: We are pleased to announce that this year’s eighth grade graduation ceremony will take place on Thursday, May 30, 2019. Graduation ceremony location and time will be determined at a later date. Tickets will not be issued for the ceremony and seating is on a first come, first seated basis. Please know that we always have enough room for all to attend. Specific details related to the graduation ceremony will be sent to you via email and US mail in early May. Also, please note that Thursday, May 30 will be the last day of attendance for our eighth grade students. Please mark your calendars for this special evening.
PTA: Please read below for important information from our wonderful PTA:
- The Schaumburg Township Council of PTA’s is again offering the Elementary Summer Scholarship for K – 7th Grade Students. Please see click on this link http://PTA.sd54.org for more information about the scholarship or see attached application in English and Spanish for all the details and deadlines. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Lisa Reck – Frost PTA President at 847-921-3396.
- Please join us for our next PTA meeting on March 12 at 7:00 PM in the Frost Lounge.
- Please visit our Frost PTA website for other important PTA information Frost PTA.
Social Emotional Learning: At school, we have been talking about Self-Regulation and Calming/Stress Management and would like to share ways you can continue the learning at home. The following questions/scenarios can be completed any time. Talking with your children will reinforce the social emotional life skills needed. We hope you enjoy the valuable discussions with your children!
- Discuss the Happiness Advantage Principle Fulcrum and Lever. How can it help you reach your goals even under stress?
- What does it mean to be mindful? What is your plan to be mindful throughout the day?
- What are stress management skills that work for you?
- Practice meditating as a family.
Families invited to Multicultural Event March 16: Schaumburg School District 54’s Department of Language and Culture is excited to be hosting our annual Multicultural Event in collaboration with the Schaumburg Park District on Saturday, March 16, 2019, at the Community Recreation Center (CRC). The purpose of the Multicultural Event is to celebrate the diverse cultures in District 54 and the surrounding communities. Students and their families have the opportunity to experience and showcase their cultures through performances, crafts, games, and food. The event will take place at the Community Recreation Center from 11:30-2:30 p.m. The Community Recreation Center (CRC) is located at 505 Springinsguth Road, Schaumburg, IL 60194. Parking is available at the Schaumburg Park District and Hoover Elementary School. During this free event, students and families can participate in games, crafts, and activities that represent countries around the world. There will also be food available to purchase. Food vendors will accept cash. For more information, please see the Multicultural Event Flyer 2019. We look forward to seeing you at the Multicultural Event on March 16th!
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. There are two evening programs scheduled for March. Please note that child care is always available.
- Tantrums: Solutions to Behavior Challenges – March 6: Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor Meghan Reitz will discuss how you, as a parent, can help your children develop skills that will allow them to better regulate their emotions. Learn how to teach your child coping tools and healthier options to use when they become distressed. She will also address how parenting plays a role in tantrums and ways to adjust some of your parenting techniques. This event will take place from 6-7 p.m. Wednesday, March 6 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg. Tantrums: Solutions to Behavior Challenges flyer
- Fit Fam: How to Get the Whole Family Moving Together – March 13: Rethink your idea of what exercise is! A workout doesn’t have to mean running laps or lifting weights. Exercise is leading an active lifestyle, which you can do with your kids, and you’ll be able to fit in more than you think. As a bonus, exercise with family will double as quality time. Let these creative ideas help you turn every day into an opportunity to get fit — and have fun — together. This event will take place from 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 13, at Lakeview Elementary School, 615 Lakeview Lane, Hoffman Estates. Fit Fam flyer
To register please visit the SPU Online Form or for more information, contact Meg Kwak at 847-357-6586 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave your name, contact information, the number of children needing childcare (free) and your child’s school.
Feed My Starving Children: As part of celebrating Happiness in the community, please consider joining Frost families and staff members at our Feed My Starving Children event on March 20 by signing up here.
Yearbook: One great way to preserve this year’s school memories is with a 2018-19 Robert Frost Junior High School yearbook! You can order your yearbook at our winter conferences or today at ybpay.lifetouch.com using our school yearbook ID code 13216219.
Boys Volleyball begins their season on Monday, March 4 with tryouts. They play on 3/19 vs. LP, 4/4 @ Keller, 4/8 vs. Ike, 4/9 @ Addams, 4/15 @ Mead, 4/16 vs. Keller, 4/18 @ Ike, 4/22 vs. Addams, 4/23 vs. Mead, 4/25 and 4/30 @ D54 Tournament. Track and Field begins their season on Monday, 3/18. Their meets will be on 4/18 vs. Keller, 4/23 vs. Mead/LP, 4/30 vs. Ike, 5/2 vs. Addams/LP, 5/13 @ D54 Conference meet @ Conant High School. Please note that all track meets will be held at Eisenhower Junior High School.
Please encourage your child to get involved in these upcoming Frost Club offerings: GEMS, Sign Language Club, Club Unify, Art Club, Pep Club, Game Club, Frost TV, Interact Club, and Theater Club. Please visit our Frost Clubs and Activities page for more information about these clubs Frost Clubs .
Important upcoming dates:
- Friday, 3/8: PTA Auction
- 3/23-3/31: Spring Break
- Tuesday, 4/2: No school
- 4/8-10: Illinois Assessment of Readiness—Mathematics
- 4/15-16: Illinois Assessment of Readiness—ELA
- Wednesday, May 1: Half-day
- Friday, May 17: Eighth grade dance
- Thursday, May 30: Eighth grade graduation ceremony
Please visit our Frost JHS website for the building calendar para información de la escuela en español, favor de precionar bajo Hispanoparlantes . Finally, don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook at Facebook and follow us on Twitter at Twitter to stay updated with the latest news and information about the great things happening at Frost. In addition, several of our teachers and staff members have Twitter and/or Instagram accounts that share our “Strong” at Frost every day—please follow our accounts to see what your children are up to at Frost by clicking on this link to find embedded links to specific staff members’ accounts! As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your continued support and commitment to ensuring your child’s educational success.