A Message from the Principal- 11/23/18
As we pause to give thanks this week, I want to say thanks to all of you on behalf of the Frost staff. We are fortunate to have such a supportive parent community; you are critical to the continued success of our Spartans. Please read below for more information about our goals to raise student achievement and create a positive culture at Frost.
Report Cards Online: Parents/guardians are able to view report cards online this semester on Nov. 21. I want to ensure that all of our parents have access to this early viewing of the report card, so I highly encourage you to sign up for the District 54 Infinite Campus Parent/Student Portal. The portal is a website and app where parents and guardians can view their children’s grades, assignments, immunizations, test scores, demographic information and report cards. If you have not previously logged on to the portal, contact our front office for instructions on how to obtain a secure Campus Portal Activation Key.
Winter MAP tests begin on November 26, 2018. The students will be taking their tests in their mathematics and language arts classrooms. Please see the testing schedule below. We are excited to monitor the progress of the goals our students set for themselves at the beginning of the school year. During our February student goal-setting conferences, we will share the results with you.
- Reading: All students will test in their language arts class Monday, 11/26 and Tuesday, 11/27.
- Mathematics: All students will test in their mathematics class Monday, 12/3 through Wednesday, 12/5.
- All students in instructional classes will take their reading and mathematics tests Thursday, 11/29 and Friday, 12/7.
5Essentials Survey Update: In last week’s email, I included a letter asking you to take the Illinois State Board of Education’s 5Essentials Survey for parents and sharing with you our plans to administer the student survey at school. Please note that since that time, Illinois has changed the date for the student survey, which will not be available until Dec. 11. It is still our plan to complete the survey at school prior to winter break. If you do not want your child to participate, please contact me ASAP. The parent survey will be available online through Feb. 15 2019, at https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois.
PTA: Please click on the following link Frost PTA MemberHub to join our MemberHub site. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Lisa Reck, Frost PTA President at email@example.com. Please join us for our next PTA meeting on January 15 at 7:00 PM in the Frost Lounge. Please visit our Frost PTA website for other important PTA information Frost PTA.
Social Emotional Learning: At school, we have been talking about Empathy and Bullying and would like to share ways you can continue the learning at home. The following questions/scenarios can be completed any time. Talking with your children will reinforce the social emotional life skills needed. We hope you enjoy the valuable discussions with your children!
- An upstander is someone who recognizes when something is wrong and acts to make it right even when the easiest or most acceptable choice is to do nothing. Can you think of a time when you were an upstander and how it affected the situation? If not, can you think of a time where you could have been an upstander and how it would have affected the situation?
- What does it mean to be show empathy?
- Performing acts of kindness not only makes others happy but also increases our own happiness. As a family, generate a list of Conscious Acts of Kindness to complete.
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. There is one evening program scheduled for December. Please note that childcare is always available.
- Get Your Game On – December 4: Monopoly your game choice? Maybe Pictionary? They got nothing on this night! Come to our Family Game Night and not only will you learn new games, you are will make them from scratch! In this session, families will create and play their own game and have an hour of uninterrupted, no electronic, family together time. The best part is you get to take your game home with you so that the fun can continue! Parents and students in kindergarten and older are welcome. This event will take place from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on December 4, 2018, at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg. Get You Game On Flyer
To register or for more information, contact Meg Kwak at 847-357-6586 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave your name, contact information, the number of children needing childcare (free) and your child’s school.
Yearbook: One great way to preserve this year’s school memories is with a 2018-19 Robert Frost Junior High School yearbook! You can order your yearbook today at ybpay.lifetouch.com using our school yearbook ID code 13216219.
District 54 Cold Weather Response Plan: In order to help you better prepare for the severe cold weather and snow we often get during winters in our community, I wanted to share with you the District 54 Severe Cold Weather Response Plan. Though District 54 makes every effort to keep our schools open and operational, circumstances beyond our control oftentimes dictate school closings.
Adopt-a-Family: Frost continues an annual tradition of holiday goodwill as our Interact Club hosts a fundraising drive for Frost families-in-need. Please encourage your child to donate to this worthy cause during their lunch periods.
Boys Basketball, Cheer, and Poms play/perform on 11/26, 11/27, 11/29, 12/4, and 12/6, 10, and 11 @ D54 Conference Tournament. Good luck, Spartans.
Please encourage your child to get involved in these upcoming Frost Club offerings: Spartan CrossFit, Art Club, Game Club, Frost TV, Interact Club, Theater Club, Pep Club, Geography Bee, History Bee, Rube Goldberg, and Club Unify. Please visit our Frost Clubs and Activities page for more information about these clubs Frost Clubs .
Important upcoming dates:
- Monday, 11/26: Winter MAP begins
- Wednesday, 12/12: Parents and Pastries (more information to come!)
- Wednesday, 12/12: Sixth grade parent night
- Tuesday, 12/18-19: Winter music concerts
- Friday, 12/21: Winter Pep Rally
- Friday, 12/21: Winter break begins at the end of the school day
- Monday, 1/7: School resumes
- Monday, 1/21: No school
- Wednesday, 1/30: Half day of school
- Thursday, 2/14-Friday 2/15: Winter conferences
Please visit our Frost JHS website for the building calendar para información de la escuela en español, favor de precionar bajo Hispanoparlantes . Finally, don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook at Facebook and follow us on Twitter at Twitter to stay updated with the latest news and information about the great things happening at Frost. In addition, several of our teachers and staff members have Twitter and/or Instagram accounts that share our “Strong” at Frost every day—please follow our accounts to see what your children are up to at Frost by clicking on this link to find embedded links to specific staff members’ accounts! As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your continued support and commitment to ensuring your child’s educational success.