A Message from the Principal- February 26, 2018
It was great to see so many of our families at our winter conference! We truly value this time to connect with you and discuss your child’s recent successes as well as future goals. Over the next few months, we will be having many conversations with your student related to their achievement and cultural goals. We want to make sure students are continually pushing themselves to be better and are displaying determined commitment to the action steps that they created with their teachers so they are able to see success at the end of the school year. If you were unable to attend, please have your child go through their goal-setting conference on their Chromebook with you. If you were unable to visit with a teacher, please call/email any of the teachers if you have any questions. If you have any questions regarding your student’s instructional program, please do not hesitate to contact me. Student goal-setting conferences are a critical part of our continual practice of accountability and celebration to ensure our students attain our school achievement goals for this school year:
- Reading—Frost will perform at or above the 95th percentile in mean growth in reading
- Math— Frost will perform at or above the 95th percentile in mean growth in mathematics
Winter conferences are also a chance for us to recommit themselves to the High Achievement and Positive Culture that staff and students work hard to create every day at Frost. Please read below for more information about these goals.
End of Trimester 2 is Friday, March 2. Please talk with your child about completing all missing assignments before the conclusion of the trimester. We will be working with students who have an excessive amount of missing assignments over the next week to ensure all work is completed and submitted before the close of the trimester.
District 54 Spanish Speech Contest: MacArthur School is hosting a Spanish Language Speech Contest from 8:30 a.m. to noon on May 3, 2018, for students in third through eighth grade. Application, speech drafts written by applicant himself/herself, and video recordings no more than 3 minutes (one video recording per participant) must arrive at MacArthur School by April 3. The maximum length for speech drafts is 2 pages. The finalists will be notified via mail by April 26. Please contact Ms. Lucrecia Temoczuk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 357-6666 with any questions. If your child is interested in participating, please complete the Spanish Speech Contest Application. If you are unable to print the electronic form, paper forms can be picked up in your school office. La escuela MacArthur será anfitrión este año del Concurso Anual de Oratoria el 3 de mayo 2018 de 8:30 AM a 12:00 PM. Los estudiantes de 3er a 8vo grado pueden participar. Forma de inscripción, borrador del discurso escrito por el concursante, y una grabación de video de no más de 3 minutos (un video por participante) debe llegar a MacArthur School para el 3 de abril. El discurso debe ser de dos páginas. Los finalistas serán notificados por correo para el 26 de Abril. Por favor contacte a Lucrecia Temoczuk al email@example.com o al siguiente numero (847) 357-6666 con preguntas. Si su hijo está interesado en participar, por favor complete el Formulario de Participación. Si no puede imprimir el formulario electrónico, hay copias disponibles en la oficina de su escuela.
The date, time, and location for the 8th grade graduation ceremony will be officially announced by the board of education around spring break. More information to come!
Frost PTA: Please read below for important information from our fantastic PTA.
- Frost PTA is looking for some help for the 2018-2019 school year! Please click on the following link for a list of positions and committee’s that need to be filled here: PTA Officer Positions for 2018-19
- The PTA Hot Lunch that was canceled on Friday, 2/9 due to the snow day has been rescheduled to tomorrow, Monday, 2/26.
- PTA Hot Lunch is looking for more volunteers! If you are interested in volunteering, please sign up to serve PTA Hot Lunch by simply visiting this site and submitting your desired time: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/4090D4AA9AB2DA4F85-volunteer.
- Please join us for our next PTA meeting on March 6 at 7:00 PM in the Frost Lounge. Please visit our Frost PTA website for other important PTA information Frost PTA.
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. There are two evening programs scheduled for March.
- Yoga Class (Finding Peace with Your Family) – This class is for parents and students. This class will teach you a variety of yoga styles sure to strengthen your core and increase flexibility. The class will follow the Vinyasa Yoga practice, which is one of the most popular styles of yoga in the United States. This type of practice involves synchronizing your breath with a continuous flow of postures. Bring a yoga mat or towel, and water. This class will take place from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on March 14 at the Professional Learning Center, 522 East Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
- Decoding “I’m Fine” – This event is for adults only. Madelyn Burbank, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, will discuss the subtle impacts of divorce on children. This presentation looks at divorce from the perspective of the child. It blends research and personal experience to explore best practices for mitigating negative consequences. We will look at how to assist your child in adjusting to life post-divorce, including talking to your child about the divorce, managing transition and difficult behaviors, identifying behaviors which may require extra support, navigating co-parenting, parents dating and blending families. There will be a special focus on things you can do, regardless of how the other parent chooses to parent. This event will take place from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on March 20 at the Professional Learning Center, 522 East Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
To register or for more information, contact Meg Kwak at (847) 357-6586 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave your name, contact information, the number of children requiring free childcare and the name of your child’s school.
District 54 Education Foundation: The District 54 Education Foundation is partnering with Riccardo’s Restaurant, 1170 S. Roselle Road, Schaumburg, for a fundraiser next month. On Wednesday, March 7, present the event flyer or mention the Foundation when placing a dine-in or carryout order at Riccardo’s and 25 percent of your bill will go to the D54 Foundation. Reservations for dine-in are recommended. This is not valid with other coupons or offers. Click here for a printable version of the flyer. For more about the Foundation, visit www.d54foundation.org.
2017-18 Yearbook: Have you purchased your yearbook for the 2017-18 school year? If not do so today! Yearbooks can be purchased at: https://ybpay.lifetouch.com . Enter Frost’s school code: 13216218. All yearbook orders must be placed by March 31, but do not wait! There will be no extra yearbooks ordered, so if you do not order a yearbook before March 31 you will not be able to receive one. We do not want you to miss out on your chance to have a copy of this year’s memories! Questions? Contactjoanczarnecki@nullsd54.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career Day: On Wednesday, May 30, we will be hosting our third annual “Career Day” here at Frost. On this day, our 7th grade students will be hearing several presentations from various professionals talking about their careers including how their work as a junior high school student prepared them for their job. We are looking for parents and community members who are willing to come to Frost on this day to speak with our students. We are hosting two sessions. The morning session is 8:30-10:30 am. The afternoon session is from 11:30 am-1:30 pm. A complimentary lunch will be provided for all of our presenters to thank them for taking the time to talk to our students about their professions.
If you are interested in presenting to our students at our Career Day, please contact Mrs. Czarnecki email@example.com or 847-357-2136.
Track and Field begins their season on Monday, 3/19. If you child is interested, please have them get a permission slip from the cafeteria and ensure that they have a current physical on file.
Wacky Wednesdays are beginning on Wednesday, March 7! Wacky Wednesdays are a fun way to lighten the mood as we come up on the end of the school year. Our upcoming Wacky Wednesdays are Pajama Day on 3/7 and St. Patrick’s/Green Day on 3/14! Please click on the following link for the schedule:Wacky Wednesdays
Please encourage your child to get involved in these upcoming Frost Club offerings: Frost TV, Game Club, GEMS, History Club, Geography Club, Club Unify, Art Club, and Interact Club. Please visit our Frost Clubs and Activities page for more information about our upcoming clubs Frost Clubs .
Important upcoming dates:
- Friday, March 2 End of second trimester
- Wednesday, March 7 Half-day of school
- Friday, March 23 Spring pep rally
- Saturday, March 24 through Sunday, April 1 Spring break
Please visit our Frost JHS website for the building calendar https://frost.sd54.org/ para información de la escuela en español, favor de precionar bajo https://frost.sd54.org/hispanoparlantes/. Finally, don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/frostspartans and follow us on Twitter atwww.twitter.com/frostspartans to stay updated with the latest news and information about the great things happening at Frost. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your continued support and commitment to ensuring your child’s educational success.