Today’s track meet has been cancelled due to the heat index. There will still be practice. Please call our front office at 847-357-6800 with any questions. Thank you for your flexibility and understanding as we keep the best interest of our students in mind.
Today’s cross country meet has been cancelled due to the heat index; however, there will still be practice! Please call the front office 847-357-6800 if you have any questions. Thank you for your flexibility as we keep the best interest of our students in mind.
Coach Czarnecki, Coach Sroka, and Coach Foster are here at Frost late tonight with our girls basketball teams practicing! Way to put in the effort and time Lady Spartans! Bring a W home!
- Monday, August 24th was “Frost Forward”, a special day devoted to our 7th grade students. Our students were greeted by the entire Frost faculty who lined the main hallway to the gym cheering each 7th grade student as they entered the school. The day was filled with students traveling through their class schedules, practicing on their new lockers, and learning about life at Frost. After “Frost Forward” on Monday, we feel confident that our 7th grade students are prepared for a positive transition to junior high school.
- Tuesday, August 25th was our “PBIS Boot Camp”. Students started the morning with a boot camp-themed assembly hosted by Mr. Barbini and me in the gym, where we briefed the students on the behavioral expectations for the year. The students then went through their schedules learning what our expectations are of them throughout the school.
- Wednesday, August 26th our students participated in the following Quantum Learning activities in each of their classrooms: in PE, the students did an activity called, “All My Neighbors”; in science, students worked together doing team trivia; in social studies, students discussed Frost as our “Home Court Advantage”; in math, students got to know each other by sharing facts about themselves; in LA, student learned about our collective agreements of making the most of every moment, doing what it takes, and remaining open; and in Electives, student learned to work together in an activity called, “Unity”. Please take some time this weekend to ask your child about these culture-building activities.
- Frost 2015-2016 Spirit wear Fund Raiser begins next week! T-shirts, hoodies, pom shirts, and sweatpants. Samples sizes will be available during curriculum night with orders accepted through the month of September. Watch for details!
- Reminder that the PTA hot lunch order forms were due today. However, the PTA is extending the due date to this coming Monday, Aug 31st. Any forms not returned by Monday, August 31st will miss the first 2 hot lunches of the school year.
- PTA “Scrip” Fundraiser: Please see Frost Scrip Order Form (1). The order form is due on September 11th.
- All students riding a bus are required to show their bus pass upon boarding the bus. If a student loses their bus pass, a replacement bus pass may be acquired in the main office.
- If your child is assigned a bus, please encourage them to take the bus home after school for safety reasons.
- For students who choose to stay after school hours for sports and/or clubs, we do run an activity bus that will take your child home. The bus begins loading students at 3:50 and departs Frost at 4:00. Please encourage your child to take advantage of the activity bus and stay at Frost for our great extra-curricular offerings.
- We completed our Bus Evacuation Drills today during PE classes.
- 6:00-7:00 pm: Mathematics 715
- 7:00-8:00 pm: Mathematics 930
- 8:00-9:00 pm: Mathematics 830 (Geometry)
Today students and teachers learned what “Home Court Advantage” is all about. They learned about Frost traditions, how we will make a unified team, the agreements we are going to use to help us succeed and participated in activities to help build good team relationships. Ask your students about the “Helium Stick” activity, the 3 agreements we have at Frost, or the “My Neighbors” activity! Great work today Spartans!
- Frost Forward 8-24 (7th graders only)
- PBIS Boot Camp 8-25 (7th and 8th graders, 8th graders first day of school)
- Quantum Learning activities 8-26 and 8-27 (7th and 8th graders)
Please continue to visit our website and Facebook page for the most up to date information!
Greetings Robert Frost Community,
Welcome to the 2015-16 school year! Over the past few weeks, the dedicated Frost staff has worked hard to prepare our school for the arrival of our students. We are excited to meet our new Spartans on Monday and welcome back our 8th grade students on Tuesday. We know that your child is prepared for what is sure to be a highly successful year at Robert Frost Junior High School. This email is to provide you with a preview of next week’s back-to-school events:
FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL
Monday, August 24th is “Frost Forward”, a special day devoted to ONLY the incoming 7th graders. We will be running a special bell schedule on this day where students will get to practice opening their lockers, travel through their class schedules, and learn about life at Frost. Please ensure that your student brings the following on this day:
- Class schedule
- School supplies (students are welcome to bring their school supplies on this day—they will be able to put their supplies in to their hallway locker during Homeroom/1st period)
Tuesday, August 25th the 8th Grade Students will join the 7th Grade Students as we host our annual Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports (PBIS) Basic Training. Students will learn what our expectations are of them in different locations throughout the school. Please ensure that your student brings the following on this day:
- Class schedule
- Assignment Notebook
- School supplies
Wednesday, August 26th our students will be participating in Quantum Learning activities in each of their classrooms: in PE, the students will be doing an activity called, “All My Neighbors”; in Science, students will participate in team trivia; in SS, students will learn why Frost is a “Home Court Advantage” for them as students; in Math, students will get to know each other by sharing facts about themselves; in Electives, student will learn to work together during a difficult activity called, “Unity”; and in LA, students will be learning about the “Essential Agreements”. As a follow-up on Thursday, August 27th, each of your child’s classroom teachers will discuss what the “Essential Agreements” of making the most of every moment, doing what it takes, and remaining open means in their rooms and subject areas.
During the first days of school, we will be reviewing with the students a number of school rules including our policies on dress code and the prohibition of cell phones and entertainment devices. Please take a moment to talk with your child about these and other key points found in the Frost Parent-Student Handbook that you received on Information Day. You can also find the Frost Parent-Student Handbook on our Frost homepage at http://frost.sd54.org/files/2015/06/Frost-Student-Parent-Handbook-15-16.pdf
GIRLS BASKETBALL and BOYS/GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY
Our junior high school fall sports season kicks off next week. Girls’ basketball holds try-outs after school on Thursday, August 27th from 2:15-4:00 pm. Boys & Girls Cross Country hosts an informational meeting after school on Tuesday, August 25th from 2:15-4:00 pm. We encourage your child to participate in sports and represent Frost as a Spartan “student-athlete”. If your child plans to participate, per School Board Policy, current physicals are required of all students to be on file prior to try-outs and/or participation in any inter-scholastic sport. If you have any additional questions about your child’s physical, please contact our school nurse.
Frost school hours are 7:38 a.m. – 2:15 p.m. with the first bell ringing at 7:30. Please note: Beginning Wednesday, August 26th, every Wednesday is designated for staff development. Students are dismissed 30 minutes early on Wednesdays (1:45 p.m.).
Frost school office hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Remember that our student absence line (847-357-6802) is available 24 hours a day. Please call by 7:00 a.m. if your child will be absent from school. In the event that you need to contact your child at school, please feel free to contact our main office (847-357-6800) between the hours of 7:00 AM and 3:30 PM. Also, students are able to use the student phone located in the main office to contact parents. With staff permission, classroom phones are also available for students to use.
PICK UP PROCEDURES
To ensure the safety of our students, there will be no entry to our parking lot beginning at 2:15 (1:45 on Wednesdays) until ten minutes after the end of the day. When entering the east parking lot, please follow the yellow arrows marked on the pavement for safe traffic flow. We appreciate your patience as we work to improve the flow of traffic to make it safer for our students.
UPCOMING EVENTS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
There are a number of upcoming events and announcements that should be noted:
- Sunday, September 6th The Frost 8th grade band performs at Septemberfest from 1:45-2:15 pm and the Frost 8th grade orchestra performs at 3:00 pm.
- Wednesday, September 2nd For parents of students enrolled in Mathematics 715, 930, or Geometry, we will be hosting an “Accelerated Math Parent Night” starting at 6:00 pm in the Frost Gymnasium. You should have received an invitation letter attached to your child’s schedule regarding this important informational evening. Please call the office for information.
- Wednesday, September 9th Please see attached letter for information about our upcoming Curriculum Night.
- Schaumburg Parent University District 54 is excited to once again offer our families the Schaumburg Parent University (SPU). The Parent University is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. We offer two types of classes – Practical Parenting for adults only and Time Together, where families learn and play together. Most classes are free and childcare is provided. Our first session will be Family Literacy Night on Sept. 14. Click on the attachments for more information about the rest of the fall classes or visit our website at http://sd54.org/spu. Registration information is also found at this website.
- Run to Read District 54 is hosting its 11th annual Run to Read, which will be held on Sunday, Sept. 27, 2015 at Dirksen Elementary School in Schaumburg. The day includes 100-yard and 400-yard dashes for children at 8 a.m., a 5K run at 8:45 a.m. and a 1-mile family walk at 9 a.m. Although you can register at any time, even the morning of the race, you will save $5 and be guaranteed a Tshirt in the size you requested if you register by Sept. 4. The Run to Read is an awesome opportunity to promote healthy living by encouraging your children to exercise, or even better, by joining them on the walk or run. The event also supports our goal of collecting 1,000 children’s books for every classroom in District 54. To register online, visit http://sd54.org/runtoread.
- Visions Newsletter Interested in receiving news about District 54 schools and events? Subscribe to the District 54 Visions enewsletter at http://sd54.org/email-signup
- Wednesday, September 30th is Picture Day.
Please visit our Frost JHS website for the building calendar http://frost.sd54.org/events/ . Finally, don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/frostspartans and follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/frostspartans to stay updated with the latest news and information about the great things happening at Frost. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your continued support and commitment to ensuring your child’s educational success. We are looking forward to a wonderful school year with your child.
Have a nice weekend and we look forward to the arrival of your child next week!
There will be two sessions that students AND parents (parents must accompany students) can attend: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Frost students will receive their schedules, PE uniforms and yearbooks may be purchased, and consumable fees can be paid for. If you are unable to attend Information Day, you may retrieve your materials during office hours (7am to 3:30pm) after Information Day.